- Hello, I am Alvis Yu, a Taiwanese part-time freelance interpreter/translator based in Tokyo, providing English and Chinese (Traditional Chinese) translation/interpretation services for individuals and firms alike. I hold a B.A. in Applied English and an M.A. in International Affairs.
- I am a 27-year-old Taiwanese, born and raised in Taiwan.
- I have experience living and working with native English speakers for years.
- I’ve collected 20-plus English dictionaries and English stylistic/usage books.
- I am a member of both Taipei Translators & Interpreters Union and Taiwan Association of Translation and Interpretation.
- Member of Taipei Translators & Interpreters Union
- Scored 990 points (the highest possible score) on the TOEIC test in 2013 without prior overseas or equivalent exposure.
- I have a strong history of demonstrating a high command of overall English skills. (speaking sample)
Got accepted to the GITI (Chinese-English pair) at Fu Jen University (one of the leading translation graduate programs on the island) on the first try.
Passed the screening test (Chinese to English) of Linguitronics, the leading translation agency in Taiwan, on the first attempt.
Translated 10-plus books (not published yet).
(Trivia: Prior to going to GSIA in 2011, an English-taught graduate program [albeit with only one English native speaker on staff during my stay] under the international college at Ming Chuan University, a local university with dominantly Chinese-taught programs, I had NOT attended Taipei American School or any other similar English-taught schools, which proves that I am an efficient, committed, and diligent learner.)
- Translating documents in the fields of literature, business, education, politics, international relations, marketing, among others, from English to Chinese and vice versa.
E-C Rates per source word: $0.04 – $0.08 USD
C-E Rates per source word: $0.05~$0.09 USD
The actual rate depends on the difficulty (i.e. how technical the content is), word count, and urgency of the case.
- Editing services: polishing otherwise decent documents that are marred by poor English and awkward syntax (temporarily not available)
Rates range from $0.02-$0.06 USD per source word (i.e. English word)
- Liaison and consecutive interpretation services in the aforementioned fields.
- Simultaneous interpretation services in a not-too-technical setting.
Free Trial: Regarding translation and editing services, I can provide you with a free trial service with 100-150 words upon request. (Please feel free see the work samples on this blog to get a feel of my translation skills and style.)
As for an assessment of my oral proficiency in English, you can do so by calling me on Skype (ID: alvisspeaking) or LINE (alvis514). Alternatively, you can take a listen to my speaking samples here.
Currently a part-time freelance translator/interpreter based in Tokyo.
Available for small or none-urgent cases. For big or time-sensitive cases, please contact me via email. Thank you! (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tokyo Auto Salon 2017, liaison interpreting
New Taipei City Government (2015 New Taipei City International Trade Fair; I was a contract one-day interpreter providing CHEN consecutive interpreting service at an international trade fair held by the New Taipei Government.)
imagelephant (a Taiwanese advertisement production house; I interpreted for them during their teleconference with an Australian client, from Chinese into English and vice versa.)
Yao Shun Language Services Limited In-house translator (C<->E) (2014/08-2015/02)
PACE (It’s a Singaporean company for whom I’ve translated 10 textbooks [organizational management; English to Traditional Chinese], though they are not published as yet.)
Meet the Translators partner translator/interpreter
Major Science (A California-based company that designs, manufactures, and markets laboratory equipment that supports scientific research in life sciences laboratories ;Web localization, from English to Traditional Chinese)
Linguitronics (a leading translation agency in Taiwan; I work with them as a CH to EN freelance translator)
Blue Moon Films (a Taiwanese advertisement production house; I translated a storyboard and business letters from Chinese into English for them.)
Testimonials: Please click here.
- GoodReads, a book-review sharing website
- LinkedIn, where you can see my detailed English CV
- Proz.com, the world’s largest translation/interpretation online forum
- Facebook page
SDL Edit (2007)
SDL Trados Studio 2014
Wordfast (cloud version)
Wire transfer (into my Taiwan bank accounts)
Personal reference book collection (partial):
As a life-long student of the English language who considers learning languages (esp English, evidently) as a labor of love, I’ve so far collected 20-plus reference books, English monolingual dictionaries among them, for personal interest as well as professional tools. By the way, most of my collected dictionaries are in the CD/DVD format, so they’re all literally at my fingertip. You can see my partial collection below.
To view my complete collection, however, please click here.
Thanks for your time.